this is my dull life. this is my dull life on drugs. this is a haiku.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Fun with science


Ok, this is one of those ideas that will probably never be implemented (at least not by me), but if you happen to have a beef with vegetarians for some strange reason, then go for it.

OK, so first thing you have to do is find a vegetarian convention. I personally suggest The Vegetarian Summerfest, but I guess you'll have to wait till next year, since it just happened in early July.

So anyway, the normal pH range of urine is between 4 and 8, depending on the individual diet of each person. (If you'll stick with me for awhile, you'll see where this is going...) The pH range of vegetarians however, is on the higher alkaline/basic end of the scale (presumably above the normal range) due to their diet rich in citrus fruits, legumes, and vegetables. You can take advantage of this little fact to freak out a few vegetarians. Here's how:

A pH indicator, as you science kids know, is a chemical (a buffer actually) that changes colors when in solutions of different pH. They are specific colors above and below defined pH values. One useful indicator is known as phenolphtalene red. It goes from colorless to red over the pH range of 8 to 10. Basically what this means is that if it starts out as colorless at lower pH's (for example a pH of 7 in toilet water), then it turns bright red at higher, more basic, pH's (such as when basic urine raises the pH above 8).

So all you've got to do is find a vegetarian convention, add a few drops phenolphtalene red to all the toilet bowls in the women's bathrooms, then stand around and watch a bunch of distressed vegetarians wonder what has gone wrong with their oh-so-healthy lifestyle.

*NOTE for those who might not have picked up on the trick:
They'll think that they've peed blood. Yeesh... slow on the uptake or what?

This'll also work on most any pesky vegetarian in your life, but since urine pH balance varies between different people, it may not work for all.

Don't worry! I'm just kidding! I love vegetarians! Really.
My sister's one.

And on a side-note, it's way too late for me to be uploading pictures and doing a ridiculously long post, but I'll get to the Salmon Fest recap later on in the week :)
Over and out I'm done.