this is my dull life. this is my dull life on drugs. this is a haiku.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Back-country bakery -- with a twist

When my family and I were visiting my sister in Stephenville this summer, she told us a cool anecdote, so I thought I'd pass it on.

While Amy (my sister) was staying in the small town of Stephenville, she ended up walking to most every place she needed to go. I guess that there was one taxi but unless she was in a rush, she just did the manual foot-transport thing. So over the course of the summer, she started noticing that while walking past a certain building, she'd often hear a loud "DING!" sound. She described it as sounding sort of like the bell on one of those old-school egg- or oven-timers that you had to twist to wind up.

So part way through the summer -- through talking to other people I assume -- she finally discovered what was housed inside the old building... It turned out to be a combination funeral home and crematorium. Yep, that's right. Ew.

"DING! Coming right up: Your loved ones. Extra crispy style."