this is my dull life. this is my dull life on drugs. this is a haiku.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Holy impact crater Batman

Some of you may remember me, over Christmas break, going on about some asteroid being found that had a relatively high chance of hitting Earth in 2029. Well, I never heard anything else about the blurb (apparently due to the tsunami coverage), but this Popular Science article made me think about it again:

They put the chance of an April 13, 2029, collision at 1 in 2,700 and two days later upped the odds to 1 in 165. On the morning of the 27th the astronomers elevated their assessment again, this time to an alarming 1 in 38. On the Torino scale, which measures the likelihood and potential severity of an asteroid impact, they gave the asteroid a 4, the highest alert ever issued.
Wow. That's all I can say.